Friday, 14 November 2014

A Little Wars 'Winterreise' - In search of toy soldiers....


The glorious November weather stimulated the 'wanderer' to head straight to the 'Butte de Lion', for refreshment and the anticipation of some toy soldiers.




The whole area around the Butte is a construction site - getting ready for the Waterloo 200 - and there proved to be disappointments in store!




On my first visit, some thirty years ago (an eager 16 year old in those days) there was the wonderful experience of finding Historex and Starlux figures in seemingly enormous quantities.  The purchases then were a dismounted Emperor Napoleon (Starlux) and Cuirassier; and four Historex kits of the Old Guard.  Alas, all bar one have perished on the 'lawns of battle' and in the never ending house moves of a military career.

Alas, there are no such delights in store today.  The visitor centre was interesting, and had a large range of 'stuff' - and some excellent books - but the glory days of Starlux and Historex have departed like the last Eagles....


Of course, the whole place is a construction site, and the new centre may restore things to their glory days?  Or am I just imagining a 'land of lost content?'  


From the 'Butte de Lion' - onto the battlefield!


'I can't shoose the season
to depart from this place
I won't delay or ponder
I must begin my journey now'

Die Winterreisse

No comments:

Post a Comment